Blue Bell ice cream has been recalled for the first time in 108 years. As a result, everyone is losing their brain-socks.
Can you really blame them?!
Wait. Say what? Is that a real thing?
It could be.
In a recent survey, 1 in 5 Americans said that they were unable to save even a penny a month.
Now, that’s ridiculous. If you can’t save even one penny each month, you’re living outside your means and need to file for bankruptcy immediately.
But there is hope.
If you were previously buying Blue Bell Ice Cream and yet unable to save even a single penny, now is your chance to start investing that (approximately) $5 a month that you were spending on creamy, frozen deliciousness, toward something even better—a Blue Bell ice cream fund.
In 1-2 years, you could develop a fund that would earn enough interest to pay for a half-gallon of Blue Bell ice cream every single year, for the rest of your life.
Here’s how to do it:
- Get Acorns, a free app for Android and iPhone that lets you invest mere pennies.
- Invest at least $5 every month.
- Wait. Drool. Wait some more.
Assuming you receive at least 6% on your investment (the stock market historically returns 8%), you will have developed a fund that pays you $5.81 every single year.
Need more Blue Bell?
No problem. Just dial this model up a notch.
Increase either the amount invested or the amount of time it is left to grow, in order to hit your mark. (All calculations assume a 6% annual interest rate.) For example:
- 5 years @ $15 a month = $56.26 in interest (about 12 half-gallons a year)
- 2 years @ $50 a month = $58.09 in interest
- 12 years @ $5 a month = $59.73 in interest
Not only will you get free ice cream from here on out, but you will have created some emergency income also. Just look at the amount of cash you’d have in the bank following any one of these plans:
- 2 years @ $5 a month = $127.80 in principal
- 5 years @ $15 a month = $1,051.78 in principal
- 2 years @ $50 a month = $1,277.96 in principal
- 12 years @ $5 a month = $1,056.00 in principal
I know that investing and saving money often seems daunting, but it doesn’t have to be!
We don’t have Blue Bell. We don’t know when it will return to enlighten our palettes again with it’s creamy glory. So, why not start investing today, while we wait?
On a more serious note…
What if we applied this simple investment strategy to help ease the pain and suffering all around us, in the world today? Haven’t we all found ourselves in a position where we wanted to give a donation to some charitable organization, but just didn’t have the financial means?
What if you created a $5 a month fund for a single organization that is doing good in the world, and then (after letting that fund mature), paid the interest to the organization for the rest of your life?
There are all sorts of ways to get creative with this kind of investing. So, let your imagination run wild!
And if you want to play around with the numbers for yourself, check out this awesome compound interest calculator.
Latest posts by Cody Ray Miller (see all)
- The Firestarter Guide to Online Business - February 13, 2016
- Surprising Lessons in Business from ‘The Matrix’ - February 13, 2016
- Millenial Marketing 101: Developing Your Elevator Pitch - February 13, 2016